Sunday 3 July 2016

Ombre lip tutorial

One of the most common questions I get on Tumblr is about how I do my lips. So today I thought I'd share a simple step-by-step tutorial on how to get ombre effect lips.


  1. Cover your lips with whatever colour you want your lips to be as normal. I often use long-lasting lipstick as the base because that way the make-up looks good even if the other layers rub off. (I also tend to use shades slightly lighter than what I want the result to be.)
  2. Line your lips with black eyeliner or lip liner.
  3. Gently blend the black line and the base colour together with lipstick. The idea is to create an effect where the black fades smoothly into the other colour. (I often use a shade slightly darker than the base at this point. So if I were doing red lips, for example, I’d have the base a “regular” bright red and do the blending with a crimson tone.) If you want to add a more dramatic effect, do the corners of your mouth darker. For extra delicate blending, use black eye shadow to really make the hue change look smooth.
  4. If you want to add depth to your lips, avoid getting the darker colour in the innermost part of your lower lip when doing step three. You can also use a lighter shade of matte lipstick, eyeliner, lip liner or eyeshadow at the same place to create a highlight and avoid having flat-looking lips.
  5. All done! Set the make-up with lipstick sealer if you wish.

Extra advice:
- If you want to prevent the colour from bleeding as the day progresses, use matte lipstick to line your lips before step one and skip step two. I’ve started doing this lately and it definitely helps keep the line nice and clean, but it can be harder to make colours pop on it.
- Remember that dark lipstick makes your lips look smaller, so you might want to experiment to find out which size and shape suit you the best.
- Without lipstick sealer this messes up quite easily when drinking and eating, so straws are a goth’s best friend when wearing this make-up. I always carry a bunch in my bag just for this, haha.


Stay spooky!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment